Helia Sharif, M.A.Sc.
Ph.D. Candidate at the research group:
Parallel Computing for Embedded Sensor Systems
German Aerospace Center (DLR) Institute of Space Systems
Research Associate. October 2014 – Present.
Responsible for developing an autonomous visual navigation system onboard fractionated systems like satellites.
European Space Agency (ESTEC)
Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Stagiaire. June 2012 – August 2012.
Developed an evolved distributed vision algorithm, inspired by nature, for training the future rovers to autonomously navigate and path plan.
Fraunhofer Institute (FHR)
Research Associate. June 2010 – December 2010.
Designed a graphical user interface using MATLAB to manage data produced via a PG3A (pattern generator) machine. Programmed a FLASH to configure an FPGA board via a microcontroller.
Beta Program Coordinator. September 2007 – April 2008
Selected internal and external participants for testing of pre-released products. Provided training and support to the testers; elevated their feedback to the designated department for further investigation. Provided weekly status reports to the executives on my pre-released projects.
Devon Island, Canadian Arctic
Field Support Engineer, July 2007 – August 2007.
Maintained the satellite and advanced wireless networking systems in place, supported users in field traverse requirements, gained experience in expedition camping.
- H. Sharif, and M. Holzel, “A comparison of prefilters in orb-based object detection” Journal of Pattern Recognition Letters, 2016, accepted.
- H. Sharif, M. Ralchenko, C. Samson, and A. Ellery, “Autonomous Rock Classification Using Bayesian Image Analysis For Rover-Based Planetary Exploration” Journal of Computers and Geosciences, 2015.
- H. Sharif, “Autonomous Geologist for Planetary Exploration” Master’s Thesis, Carleton University, 2013.
- D. Sameoto, H. Sharif, and C. Menon, “Investigation of low-pressure performance of mushroom shaped biomimetic dry adhesives” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 2012.
- H. Sharif, M. Ralchenko, C. Samson, and A. Ellery, “Strategies For Sampling Of Planetary Materials Based On Images” International Astronautical Federation, 2012.
- J. R. Osborne, H. Sharif, C. Johnson, C. Brunskill, R. Jaguste, I. Silversides, B. Trey, and M. Vlasea, “An Interdisciplinary Approach To Human-Robot Cooperation In Near-Term Exploration Scenarios” International Astronautical Federation, 2012.
- H. Sharif, C. Samson, and A. Ellery, “Autonomous rock identification based on image processing techniques” Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, 2012.
- D. Sameoto, H. Sharif, J. P. Diaz Tellez, B. Ferguson, and C. Menon, “Non-angled anisotropic elastomer dry adhesives with tailorable normal strength and high directionality” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, 2011.